Hedge Kids children’s area is in the centre of the Family Camp. We provide both sheltered areas and outdoor play equipment. We play games, make music with our Junk Band, do storytelling, singing, face painting, arts, crafts and performance! We also have plenty of toys, books and craft supplies for children who prefer to play and explore at their own pace.
Oooh, not long to go now…. We are just buzzing with excitement! Speaking of buzzing, this year’s story for the play is all about bees 🐝. So consider this a shout out to all those wanting to take part and perform: please bring any black and/or yellow clothing you have to use as costumes. If you have any wings or antennae then that would bee a bonus! Can’t wait to get creative – any questions give us a buzz 🐝🐝🐝🐝 Rachel
Things to do
Here are just some of the activities taking place in the Hedge Kids Children’s Area:
- Circus from Cirque du Nuage – Silks and hoop daily in the arena, with aerial shows throughout the week.
- You can Fly Theatre: daily performance, costume design and set design preparing for a performance as part of the afternoon Friday Cabaret.
- Circus skills and shows with Big Grey and the Great Raymondo including tightrope, plate spinning, unicycle, bubbleology and laughter workshops!
- The TravellerSpace are back with their amazing play area for our younger family
- The Lego Tent
- Musical Instrument Making
- Bubbles: Make bubbles with bubble ropes – create giant bubbles!
- Football, rounders and volleyball games daily
- Mandala painting
- Yoga for Kids
- Seed bombs
- Herbal gathering and lotions and potions
- Junk Modelling with Ali
- Junk Band: Make instruments and have a jam!
- First Aid awareness for kids
- The Sky at Night telescope
In addition to the activities in the Hedge Kids children’s area, we have:
- Forest Tots Forest School for babies and toddlers
- Woodland fun play area
- Keelover Kate and her woodland trapeze
- The Pirate’s Pantechnicon Solar Stage, with Hoop, Karaoke, and Barbers with Axes performing over the week.
- Fire with Lara Fire Fairy – poi, staff and clubs and more – learn to spin fire building up to the show on Thursday night.
- The Red Tent: Stories from our elders, hot chocolate, meditation and fire-spinning
- Bush craft, fire-lighting and storytelling
- X-Ray Spexercise Punk Aerobics
Children set their own challenges, assess their own risks, take their own responsibility, have their own adventures, and learn from them. And what they learn can’t be taught. You should see them!
Babies and Toddlers
We create a special area for babies and toddlers. This includes sensory play, soft play and age-appropriate books, toys and crafts for the littlest Hedge Kids.
All workshop facilitators, staff and volunteers working with Hedge Kids and Hedge Youth have completed first aid training and hold current enhanced DBS certificates. We have a core safeguarding team, including Designated Safeguarding Officers.